Winter is not a season,
it's an occupation...
It might be cold and wet outside but here at Wairere things are really heating up.
The nursery is brimming with new stock of roses, specimen trees, shrubs and perennials. For all “the grow your own” family out there we also have an excellent range of fruit and nut trees, brambles and berries.
Though winter is considered to be a quieter time in the garden it is still possible to create a winter wonderland with enough colour and fragrance to delight the senses even on the dullest day. Check out our top ten plants (in no particular order) to add the WOW factor to your winter garden.
- Magnificent Magnolias begin to bloom in mid winter showing off their sumptuous blooms on bare branches.
- Prunus campanulata AKA the Tui tree will show off its bright pink blossom towards the end of winter and provide delicious nectar for hungry birds.
- Chimonanthus praecox commonly known as ‘Winter Sweet’ for all the right reasons is a firm favourite for winter fragrance. Undemanding and easy to grow.
- No winter garden would be complete without the lovely Daphne, another “must have” for winter fragrance – consider planting in a pot and placing near an entrance way for a sweet welcome home.
- Helleborus AKA Winter Rose, this perennial will flower right through the winter months and unlike the writer the clumps just get better with age.
- Phormiums – our native flax is popular world-wide for its rugged adaptability; it shrugs off winter cold with fabulous foliage that intensifies in colour the colder it gets.
- The Citrus family not only look good in winter, laden with their nutritious fruit, they also provide provide us with Mother Nature’s gift of Vitamin C to help fight winter chills and ills.
- Camellias continue to flower throughout winter and often well into spring providing essential colour and structure. Definitely worth of a place in the top 10.
- The Oak Leafed Hydrangea – Hydrangea quercifolia holds onto its beautiful burgundy coloured leaves well into the winter months before changing personality in spring to a magnificent flowering shrub with handsome green foliage.
- And no winter wonderland list would be complete without the ‘Wonder Tree’, Idesia polycarpa – yes that’s the one with the bright red berries that decorate the naked branches right throughout winter. If you’ve got the space then this magnificent specimen tree is well worth growing – remember it is only the female that has the berries and she’ll need a male nearby to ensure she is “fruitful”.
Here at Wairere we make it easy to add some WOW to your garden, either shop on line or call in at the nursery where you will be guaranteed a warm welcome.
Our weekly email newsletter has great stories, handy tips, loads of specials, new stock and mouth-watering recipes.
Click here to sign up now.
Not sure what to plant where? Then feel free to give us a call on 07-824-3430 or consider using the services of Award Winning, garden designer Anthony Skinner who has his Garden Graphix studio right here at Wairere.